Knee Ankle Foot Orthosis Instructions
How to Put on Your KAFO (Plastic and Metal)
- Apply a long sock on the foot needing the KAFO.
- While seated, position thigh and leg inside of the KAFO.
- Slide foot into brace. Make sure heel is all the way back and foot is fully seated in the brace.
- Apply tension to the Velcro instep and shin strap and pull for snugness.
- Then, finish fastening the rest of the straps up the thigh.
- Once all straps are fastened, use a shoehorn to slide the heel into the shoe to prevent breakdown of the back of
- Fasten shoes.
Just like a new pair of shoes, a KAFO has a breaking-in period. Use the following wearing guidelines to allow the body to adapt to the use of the brace gradually.
- Day 1: Only use brace for one hour.
- Day 2: Use brace for two hours.
- Day 3: Use brace for four hours.
- Day 4: Use brace for eight hours.
Continue to use brace as prescribed by your orthotist for full day use.
Please contact your Ability orthotist to schedule an appointment for an adjustment if any discomfort is felt and results in redness, bruising, or blistering. Please discontinue the use of the brace until seen by your orthotist.
Orthotic Device Cleaning and Maintenance
The best way to clean the KAFO is to spray rubbing alcohol on the inside and out and wipe down with a dry cloth. This will remove any body oils and residue. If the KAFO has foam padding, it is recommended to clean once a week to prevent sweat, dirt, and grime build-up. This can also help to eliminate odors. Do not immerse in water. This can harm the metal of the KAFO and cause it to rust and break.
Also, if the Velcro is not sticking well on the brace, check for lint build-up on the Velcro and remove it.
Take the following precautions with your KAFO:
- Do NOT overuse brace during the initial wearing phase. This can cause skin irritation.
- Be aware that volume changes in the body can affect how the KAFO will fit.
- Do NOT ever sleep in the KAFO.
- Keep KAFO away from excessive or direct heat, this may cause the plastic to melt.